Making VCO Calls - Via Relay Service
When using VCO through the Telecommunications Relay Service, you speak directly to the person you are calling. A Communication Assistant (CA) at the Relay Service types everything that the other person says so that you can read it on your Uniphone (or other TTY) display.
Making a VCO call through Relay using the Uniphone 1140:
- Press the Dial key and type the relay number using the number keys. (The Uniphone 1140 lets you speed-dial the Relay number if you have it saved in the directory.)
- When the Relay CA answers, press the <MENU>+<V> key to send a VCO request automatically. You will see VCO PLEASE GA on your display. (If you are using a different TTY, simply type your request for using VCO).
- After the CA notifies you that VCO is ready, pick up the handset and tell the CA the number and name of the person you want to call. The CA dials the number.
- Watch the display and wait until the CA tells you the call is connected.
- Begin speaking to the person you are calling.
- When the other person answers, read his or her response on the Uniphone display (the CA types the response). When you see GA at the end of a line, begin speaking again.
- Continue speaking and reading until the conversation is finished.
- When you are finished, replace the handset and hang up the Uniphone by pressing the <Shift> key and the TTY on/off key at the same time.
NOTE: You may hold the handset for the entire VCO call. You do not need to put the handset down each time you finish speaking. The Uniphone automatically turns off the handset when it receives TTY signals and turns it on again when you speak.
You can also make direct VCO calls directly between two Uniphone users (without the assistance of a Relay Service),or by using the CapTel captioned telephone.